13 May 2012

Pleasing Pictures and Stories - The Donkey-Cart.


" WOULD I be you, to walk about all day long beside a stupid donkey?" said James Smith to Alfred Comber, who was leading his donkey up the road from the village. "Would I be you? Why, look at me ; I've all my time to myself to do what I like in, and needn't slave as you do."  " It's all very well to talk, James," replied Alfred ; "but my donkey is not stupid ; she knows me as well as possible and I'm quite fond of her ; and as to having time myself, why I'd rather not have it : I like work, and I'm glad to have plenty to do.  And it strikes me, James," he continued, "That if you had work you would be happier for it, and enjoy your leisure hours, as I do, all the more for being busy." James couldn't reply to this, so he said " good-bye," and left Alfred to go his way alone.

No comments: